Health and well-being... naturally
Far too many of us think that constant tension, pain and fatigue is just a normal side-effect of modern life.
The good news is it doesn’t have to be that way.
Whether looking to improve your overall health or need a well deserved whole body relaxation experience, a healthy balance in mind and body can be achieved through reflexology.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology employs acupressure techniques, usually done on the feet or hands, to stimulate or relax specific reflex points which correspond to every gland, organ and body part including all related nerves and muscles.
Our bodies have an amazing self healing ability; but due to chronic stress, poor air and food quality, sedentary lifestyles and side effects of many medications, our physical and emotional selves are often unbalanced and in a state of distress. Reflexology helps to regain balance and energy flow so our bodies can function more effectively.
Reflexology is a gentle, non-invasive, complimentary therapy that can be both incredibly relaxing and powerful.
How does it work?
Reflexology serves mostly to produce a deep relaxation effect in the entire body. It is believed that this deep relaxation state is where necessary ‘rest and repair’ occurs. Normally, our nightly sleep is supposed to facilitate daily ‘rest and repair’, but a good quality sleep is a rarity for most of us today. Deep relaxation slows heart rate, calms breathing, improves blood flow and increases digestion. Since many physical and emotional issues are stress related this is very important.
So, reflexology in itself does not heal the body; instead, it helps to unblock, normalize and clean out, creating the ideal environment to improve your body’s own healing mechanism. It’s a bit like rebooting your computer when it gets slow and glitchy.
How can Reflexology benefit you?
• Reduces physical and emotional stress
• Natural, gentle detoxing and elimination
• Increases circulation and nerve function
• Improves respiratory and digestive health
• Strengthens the immune system
• Revitalizes energy and mood
• General pain management
Many of my clients have experienced good results in:
What can you expect?
During your initial visit, I will look at your general health history and discuss your concerns in order to help determine which reflexes may need extra attention.
During the treatment, I will apply gentle but firm pressure and adapt as needed to your comfort level. You will relax in a reclining chair with your feet elevated, and only socks and shoes removed. If you feel sleepy during the treatment, please give into a nap under a comfy blanket.
To give you maximum benefit, reflexology therapists work on the whole body during each treatment, which is all reflexes on both feet or hands; however, as each person is unique so too will be your treatment.
How will you feel after your treatment?
While there is no right or wrong way to feel after your session, most people feel soothed and sleepy, others feel more energized and alert, some feel looser and more mobile, some feel ‘heavy’ relaxed and others ‘light’ relaxed.
Most importantly, even though your reflexology treatment has finished, it’s still working, so please rest and self care as much as you can for the rest of the day and drink lots of water.
Mostly though, you will feel a wonderful sense of calm and overall well-being.
Foot or Hand Reflexology:
- 30 minutes - $40
- 60 minutes - $60
Foot and Hand Reflexology:
- 75 minutes - $75
Reflexology Lymphatic Drainage (RLD):
- 60 minutes - $60
- RLD Maintenance - $45 (Within one month of initial and subsequent RLD treatments for continued relief)
Foot or Hand Reflexology and RLD:
- 80 minutes - $80
Lower Leg Circulation Massage:
- 30 minutes - $30 A refreshing combination of massage technique and reflex points that works from the toes to just above the knee.
Plantar Fasciitis Treatment:
- 75 minutes - $75 Full Foot Reflexology Treatment with emphasis on points relieving plantar fasciitis pain
Purchase a prepaid package of 5 of the same treatment and enjoy a 6th same treatment for free.
Please note all treatment durations are approximate.
Please add an extra 15 minutes for initial treatments to complete and discuss the intake form.
Accepted payments: Cash, Debit, Visa, MasterCard & Cheque
Limited in-home service available.
Please add 5.00 within the Oliver area and 10.00 outside Oliver.
Gift certificates are available so you can spoil your family and friends.
Your appointment time has been reserved especially for you. Due to the length of each appointment and in consideration of others, please respect your appointment time. Please advise if you will be late and please contact me at least 24 hours in advance for changes or cancellations.
For extended health insurance plans, please contact your provider to check if reflexology is covered. If so, please submit your receipt directly to your provider.
FAQ and other important considerations
Is there a difference between Foot and Hand Reflexology?
While both produce the same deep relaxation and rebalancing throughout the body, there are some reflexes unique to each and due to proximity each has their particular benefits.
Hand Reflexology can be more effective for some upper body issues, affecting the hands, arms, shoulders, neck, upper back, head, respiratory system, and the nervous system in general.
Foot Reflexology can be better for targeting certain lower body issues involving the digestive and lymphatic systems, legs, hips, feet, lower back and sciatic nerves. Also, the reflexes on the feet provide a larger area on which to work deeper.
What is Reflexology Lymphatic Drainage (RLD)?
RLD is a specialized treatment developed in England by Sally Kay, to help control lymphoedema in breast cancer survivors, but is effective for any diagnosed edema or inflammation.
This light, gentle technique focuses on stimulating the lymphatic system reflexes on the feet (or hands). It is effective in encouraging the flow and release of stagnant, excess fluid held within the tissues just below the skin. This can occur due to a damaged lymphatic system, various chronic medical conditions, pregnancy or side effects from some medications.
RLD is not recommended for any undiagnosed swelling; during chemotherapy or hormone therapy; or while taking antibiotics or starting new medications. Please get an okay from your doctor.
Initially, depending on severity, 2 treatments within 7 days may be necessary to ensure a more thorough flushing.
• Generally, reflexology isn’t painful, however, any reflexes that correspond to an unbalanced area can be more sensitive. This sensitivity usually subsides as the affected area improves. Your comfort is important in helping me give you an amazing reflexology experience, so don’t hesitate to tell me what you need.
• Reflexology can help unblock the body’s ability to heal and normalize itself. One of the ways it does this is by detoxification reactions. The more common healing responses are general fatigue, chilliness, mild headache, more frequent urination, stomach rumblings, mild aches, runny nose, emotional release or restless sleep. These temporary reactions are positive and necessary, and are a sign that the healing process has started.
• Not everyone experiences this, of course, and can depend on a one’s overall health or if one is new to any sort of physical therapy. If you happen to experience a healing response it will usually show up within 48 hours of a session and last no longer than 24 hours.
• Reflexology is a safe, effective therapy for everyone from babies to seniors to those in palliative care. There are a few instances where a reflexology therapist may decide to make adjustments to a treatment, suggest to delay a treatment or recommend no treatment for the client. As always, if you have a serious medical condition, especially if undiagnosed or untreated, it is important to check with your doctor when starting any new therapies.
Precautions, adjusted or delayed treatment for:
Avoided or treatment with doctor’s permission:
Reflexology is a therapy which builds on itself:
The number of sessions needed for each person is different, and depends on one’s general health and the reason for seeking reflexology. While some people get their desired results after one or a few sessions, some may require more, such as those with longer existing or chronic concerns. The results from reflexology can be subtle, and like most physical therapies, is cumulative where each treatment builds on each previous treatment.
Generally, you can expect greater and faster benefit from regular sessions, especially at the beginning. If you are dealing with a chronic condition or are suffering with overall poor health, a session once weekly for 4-6 weeks is recommended. Often, once improvement has been achieved, clients will return for a monthly maintenance treatment. Once you get used to feeling better, you will be able to recognize when your body signals a ‘tune-up’ is needed. Of course, it is ultimately your decision how many treatments you wish to receive and when.
I’m here to help you along on your journey.
Please be patient, look after yourself in all ways and don’t give up.
You got this!
Connie Mythen, RCRT
Phone or text: 250-408-4134
6460 Eastside Lane,
I received my RCRT (Registered Canadian Reflexology Therapist) accreditation with the Reflexology Association of Canada (Professional Member no. 14038.)
Eastside Reflexology Clinic Copyright © 2020 www.eastsidereflexology.ca
Designed and managed by Munday Media & Design www.mundaymedia.com